Drupal 8, why upgrade?
Drupal 8 is coming out in 2014, but is the upgrade relevant for me and when should I upgrade? What role can XIO play in all this? We provide explanations from a non-technical point of view.
First: What does Drupal 8 mean for you?
Drupal 8 is an opportunity. Not only for any organization thinking about (re-)building their website in 2014, but also for any organization running a Drupal website for a couple of years.
- Configuration management: a must have for an enterprise level Drupal content management system. Separating content from configuration will result in easy content staging and faster release cycles!
- Multilingual improvements: no more searching endlessly for that one piece of text you just can't seem to translate.
- Mobile/Responsive features built-in: at last!
- Web Services: enabling Drupal to leverage all kinds of enterprise platforms and cloud tools by integrating seamlessly over any kind of API. Read more on integrating with Drupal in our coming blog post in the next weeks.
Drupal 8 is coming, OK, but when?
To give you an idea on the complexity of the large community Drupal is: more than 1600 contributed to Drupal 8 so far, and this is expected to go over 3000 people! When Drupal 8 will be launched, once again we will say: R.E.S.P.E.C.T. to the community!
- Currently Drupal 8 is at Alpha version 6. This means features have been completed and a code cleanup has taken place
- Beta versions will hopefully start this year (3 years after Drupal 7)
- First release candidates (RC) are expected in spring 2014
So, release time? At the moment, late summer 2014 is the most reasonable target date. But don't shoot us if it's not there :-)
What does XIO do for Drupal 8?
Next to our community program we will be training all developers in the Drupal 8 specifics. The most important to get into developer's brains and fingers is the Symfony framework, which is the core technology framework Drupal 8 is built on, promising even more flexibility and solid enterprise development.
Migrating to Drupal 8 - do you have to start all over again?
Drupal 8 will include content import tools to enable you to import content from Drupal 6 or Drupal 7 sites into the new version.
You want to know how you can plan to move to Drupal 8?
Contact us and we will show you the way.
Read more on Drupal 8: https://drupal.org/drupal-8.0
Dries Buytaert's keynote on Drupal 8, Prague, September 2013: http://buytaert.net/state-of-drupal-presentation-september-2013
More about the Drupal Release Cycle: https://drupal.org/core/release-cycle
Graphic on Drupal 8 issue queue: http://www.ostraining.com/blog/drupal/drupal-8-november-2013/